Thursday, June 23, 2016

Is he having a laugh? He's having a laugh... aka Drinking Playlist

Who likes drinking alone?  Come share a drink and a laugh with me…

OK, I know what you’re thinking.  How do I know?  Because I’m just that fucking awesome.  You’re thinking:  “It’s Friday night and I’m at home, drinking alone, and though I cannot be partying with Bradley Wik, I want to listen to the same music as he so as to feel closer to his majestic ass.  I want to dance to the same rhythms and sing the same choruses, full tilt and off-key and fucking hammered.  I want to occupy the same mental, and metaphysical, plane as this exulted mutherfucker.  I want to dance as he dances, full of spirit and without inhibitions, mesmerized by the music, my hips in sync with the bass, my body moving so effortlessly with the melodies, wholly enveloped in the magical, mystical and pseudo-religious manner in which music can possess us.  I want to feel as Bradley feels and see what Bradley sees and hear what Bradley hears.  I wish that someday I might physically reconcile these sensations with the actuality of his presence, though undeserving I may be.  I would be made whole by such a divine meeting as this.  I would then be afforded the luxury to die, contented, unlike so many of my brethren (and sisthren?).  My time on earth will have come full circle and I should pass ever so fulfilled, ready for what may lie beyond our feeble comprehension.  And when Peter should ask “Are you ready?”  I will know I am complete and satiated with my earthly existence, with nothing left to look back on and wonder about.  I will know the apex of joy and relish in the knowledge that I reached the highest of highs.  There is nothing left on earth for me, should I be allowed to ingest, for one night, the same musical epiphanies, at the same moment in time, as Bradley Wik…”  Or, something like that, I’m sure…

So, without getting into my infamous verbosity on subjects which seem to interest no one but me, I present you (three scotches in, mind you; catch up fuckers) my playlist for tonight:

  1. Bruce Hornsby and the Range – Every Little Kiss
Gotta start out light and fun.  I could listen to this whole album every time I put it on, but, alas, I need to move on to:

  1. Cyndi Lauper – She Bop
Keep the rhythm moving forward.  The bass line alone is worth the price of admission

  1. Phil Collins – Sussudio
Don’t even get me started on how much I love this song…  Thanks for not getting me started.  Watch the damn music video which will help explain the inexplicable love I have for Phil and this tune

  1. Steve Winwood – Valerie
I hemmed and hawed between this and “Talking Back to the Night” landing on the better chorus

  1. Yaz – Only You
This song breaks my fucking heart every time.  And now, thanks to Ricky Gervais, I can’t help but think about “The Office” special every time I hear it.  Of course, I’m referring to the orginal and not that bastardization, “The (American) Office”

  1. Luke Bryan – Country Girl (Shake It For Me)
Now, four drinks in, I can’t resist the lunacy and sheer, manic fun of a Luke Bryan song; “Strip it Down” excluded

  1. Florida Georgia Line – This Is How We Roll (feat. Luke Bryan)
Seriously, what is better than FGL AND Luke Bryan…  I’m fucking serious, what is?

  1. Modest Mouse – Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset
As every drunk knows, eventually the sentimentality bug will get you.  This is what that little fucker wanted today

  1. Angel Haze – New York
Enough of that sentimental shit.  Fuck, this a sick beat with one of my favorite MC’s lighting it up, rough…

  1.  The B-52’s – Quiche Lorraine
I am getting pretty drunk, after all

  1.  Bob Marley – Redemption Song
Seriously, try and outrun the sentimentality bug.  It’s seemingly everywhere after five drinks.  This song always reminds me of High School and speech class and, of course, smoking lots of, err, “cigarettes”

  1.  Fiona Apple – Hot Knife
Just… What the fuck?!… Every damn time, unbelievable…

  1.  Kanye West and Jay-Z – Niggas in Paris
This would be the most fun anyone can have with music, except for:

  1.  Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come on Eileen
      The undisputed champ, located at the intersection of drinking and music…

No comments:

Post a Comment