Monday, June 10, 2019

what's in a title... aka... best current male-female singing duo is... Stars?!

I was thinking this week how strange it is that so few male-female singing duos are fun to listen to. Sure, there is Fleetwood Mac (though Stevie clearly outshines Lindsey, they both have great tunes), Sonny and Cher and the Otis Redding-Carla Thomas pairing, but that one barely counts since it was only for one album. There were a number of bands that popped up during “folk revival” bullshit era like the Civil Wars, Shovels and Rope, etc. but none of those were really entertaining to listen to. Phantogram is a more recent example, though the male’s (I forget his name and am too lazy to look it up) songs are mostly ones that make you look for the “skip” button.

You’d think that with how well the male and female voices pair together there would be more successful examples of this working but there just isn’t a ton. Sure, there are probably some I’m forgetting right now, but it shouldn’t be a struggle to find more than a few successful examples. I think my favorite new(ish) male-female duo is Stars. Sure, their best album came out 15 years ago, but name me someone newer who would take their title of the most recent fantastic duo.



I have to say, I might be in the top echelon of this shit with Brianne Kathleen. Not technically a duo since we haven’t made a full record together (yet, stay posted, amazing things are on the way), but hell, THIS SHIT IS PRETTY FUCKING FANTASTIC.

All I’m saying is I was shocked when a friend and I tried to name the top female-male singing duos and couldn’t get very far. I guess we could add Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell to the list, must’ve missed them in my initial listing, but that doesn’t even get the list to ten. C’mon people, there should be more than this. Seriously. 

Anyways, I’m busy as fuck packing as I’m officially moving to North Carolina as of today. I’ll write more about that when I have time. For now, this is all I have.

(dictated but not read)

No comments:

Post a Comment