Saturday, January 21, 2017

What do we need? MUSIC! When do we need it? NOW!

So fuck it, let's play some fucking music...


I know things are getting fucking strange out there but we always have our trusted friend Music.  Here's some songs that always put a smile on my face.

Bradley Wik and the Charlatans - "Some Girls (Still Love Rock N' Roll)"

I can't believe I haven't fucking announced that I've sneak-peak-released the first song from my upcoming album "In My Youth, I'm Getting Old..."  I'm so excited to put this album out.  I've been working on it, and fixing the multitude of problems, for A FUCKING LONG TIME.  But, it's finally fit for human consumption and I couldn't be prouder.  The stories, the Rock N' Roll and the band are all so much better after playing hundreds of shows together.  It's so fucking cliche but we truly are operating greater than the sum of our parts on this album.

With thousands upon thousands of albums about falling in and/or out of love (the fuckin' easy part), here's an album about the rest of us. These songs are about you. These songs are about your hometown. These songs are about your friends, those you love, your lost lost loves, your hopes and regrets, your memorable nights, your forgotten dreams, your faith, your fears, your faults, your triumphs, your defeats, your will to be the best you can be, those dark nights you thought would never end, but mostly, they're about life, your life. And my life. I know you because I know myself. Guided by love, hope, faith and fear. All beautiful in our own fucked up ways. We celebrate a life full of jaggedness because that's where all the good shit is...
The press blurb:

Your ears are ringing as you pour yourselves out of the bar and into the street, still laughing.  The moon is bright in the night sky and the way it mixes with the streetlights makes you see each other in a way you’ve missed for the last few years.  In that moment, all the hard times fade away.  When she smiles, it makes you smile.  She grabs your hand as you think to yourself, “Some Girls Still Love Rock N’ Roll…”


Darwin Deez - "Radar Detector"

In another life (my NYC version), I was friends with this brilliant man.  We both would share the Sidewalk Cafe stage at various times, sometimes on the same night.  I loved his quirky, but fucking unbelievably catchy tunes.  He walked onstage and just fucking had "It."  He was a man amongst boys when he took over that room.  He knew what he was doing and how he wanted to do it.  He had us all mesmerized, every single time.  I was surprised when, years later, after he had achieved some fame, he still remembered me and gave me a great big hug when he saw me at Portland's Holocene.  While I was busy trying to be the second coming of Bob Dylan, he was busy making amazing music that was uniquely his own.  New York was a strange but amazing time.  But, Bravo sir on all the success!  You deserve it!

The B-52's - "Private Idaho"

What would a list of "fun" songs (not Fun. songs, God those guys are the fucking worst, still) be without some B-52's.  With a long list of crowd pleasers, I picked the one I return the most to.  It's fun and silly and catchy as hell.  Just what I need to chase the demons away...

Billy Joel - "The Longest Time"

This is one of the songs that reminds me of how much I can't sing.  Sure, I can do a great Rock N' Roll vocal but this is another level.  William goes back in time to remind us of why he is a national treasure.  I've almost worn out my vinyl copy of this album, but am ready to replace it should it fail me.  I cannot live without "The Longest Time," "Uptown Girl" or "An Innocent Man," nor should anyone.  The video is a little weird but don't let it distract you from one of the best pop songs of all-time.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - "Jimmy Mack"

I've had a strange obsession with Martha for a long time.  When it comes to singers, there's something intangible that attracts me to certain voices.  I just fall in love with them and they just feel "right."  Obviously, Otis is the #1 example of that but Martha is high on that list.  I just love her voice, her energy, just her in general.  I was also lucky enough to see her live and in-person at Jimmy Mak's here in Portland.  She had previously played with drummer Mel Brown (Motown/R&B staple back in the day and current Portland Jazz staple) in the sixties and the amount of personality between them was boiling over and off the stage.  It was an incredible show which included my personal highlight of Martha acknowledging that my girlfriend had the funkiest of chickens.  A truly memorable night and why "Jimmy Mack" always brings a huge smile to my face.

Talking Heads - "Artists Only"

This is a song that I, once a week, sing over and over in my head.  Why once a week?  Well, that is how often I clean my apartment.  And yes, for the hour and a half it takes, the only thing I can think is:  "I'm cleaning.  I'm cleaning again."  That and how much I love the big suit from "Stop Making Sense."  Brianne Kathleen and I actually paid a little homage during our dance breaks whilst recording her album.  Check out THIS VIDEO at 3:35 through to see how we get down.

Michael Jackson - "The Way You Make Me Feel"

Just... Fucking c'mon.  I can't tell you how many times, as a child, I re-enacted this music video in my living room.  Well, my mom could probably tell you but, needless to say, it's a fucking lot.  I never got the girl at the end, but I'll be damned if I didn't try my hardest.  Probably just didn't dance well enough...

Paul Simon - "You Can Call Me Al"

If the greatest music video of all time can't cheer you up, than nothing can...

No comments:

Post a Comment